Oatmeal on its own has many health benefits. It has captured interest the experts, nutritionists and dieticians with its great impact on overall health. It is very rich in soluble fiber content that can help in regulating blood cholesterol. It has also been incorporated in creating low-fat diets claiming it can lessen the risk of heart attacks. Oatmeal contains a mineral called beta-glucan that is used to improve cardio-vascular health. It also aids in weight loss. It is high in water-soluble fiber and complex carbohydrates that regulates blood sugar levels. Through the years, oatmeal has been known to treat acne. Unlike skincare products and medications which usually have side effects, natural remedies such as oatmeal is a great option. So instead of eating your oatmeal, try applying it to your face. How can it help in getting rid of stubborn acne? Check out some acne treatment reviews.
- Oatmeal can be used an exfoliant. The texture of oatmeal is a great help in removing the excess dirt and dead skin cells on the topmost layer of the skin. When your skin is free of dead skin cells, it produces new and healthy cells making your skin look fresh and healthier.
- It can soothe and calm the acne on your face since it is hypoallergenic. It can also be used in for allergy relief, itchiness and sunburn. So it is a good option for people who have sensitive skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory effects. Oatmeal reduces the production of chemicals that causes inflammation on your skin. It lessens swelling and redness on your face caused by acne.
- Oatmeal locks in moisture in your skin. It does not exactly provide hydration but is best used with skin moisturizing products. That way, your skin appears healthy looking.
Most of the time, oatmeal is mixed with other ingredients to maximize its skin health benefits. It can be applied raw but some cook it to battle inflammation. Here are some recipes in making oatmeal face masks:
- You can use oatmeal alone without any other ingredients in treating your acne. Combine ½ cup of oatmeal and 1/3 cup of water. Boil it until it thickens. Allow it to cool before applying it to your skin. After application leave it on for about twenty minutes before washing it off.
- Oatmeal is a good exfoliant but combining it with baking soda is much better. Combine 1 tsp of baking with 2 tsp of oatmeal and add water. Mix it thoroughly to create a thick paste. Rub it gently on evenly on your face then leave it on for twenty minutes before rinsing.